Internship is an important and compulsory part of the four year engineering course. It is a temporary position undertaken by the students in the engineering department of a company or organization.
Internship provides students with an opportunity to get hands-on experience of the work environment at the work places. It is vital from your academic as well as career point of view. You get to see the application of the theories that you have learnt in your classrooms.
It is generally done after the second or third year of engineering. However, some companies also take interns after they have completed their first year.
Must Do’s during the internship programme
• Start early. Well, the competition is quite tough in good organisations. Therefore, start your search early so that you have sufficient time in order to get placed in a sound organisation.
• Internships are excellent time to learn. So, don’t hesitate to ask questions. Get involved with the people out there. Everyone knows that you are an intern and it is appreciated if you ask your doubts. It is a chance to grow and learn from your mistakes.
• Take initiatives. This attitude is highly liked in the present times and also gets you more exposure. However, don’t cross your limits. Remember that you are an intern. At times, initiative-takers risk getting branded as “Mr. Know-it-all”.
• Do some concrete work. Don’t leave the organisation unnoticed. Try to contribute the best part of your abilities and skills. It will show in your resume and portfolio.
• Besides learning it is also the time to form rapport. The network that you will forge at this juncture will come in handy in future. So, utilise the time judiciously. Make your contacts with the seniors. There are social networking sites through which you can remain in touch. Many companies offer chances to their interns to work in their organisation after completion of the course. So, get yourself counted.
• Enjoy yourself. Most of the students perceive internship as a compulsion and try to while away the time with the sole aim of getting a certificate. This is to be avoided. Enjoy the work as well as other aspects of learning.
Internships are wonderful opportunities when you get workplace experience while being a student. It is one of those moments that will keep coming back to you once you get a job and join the humdrum of professional life. So, enjoy it to the hilt.