NCERT books are the basis for any kind of competitive exam preparation in India including engineering exams. Be it the IIT-JEE, AIEEE or any other State Entrance Exam or the IES, no exam can be prepared without consulting the NCERT books. They are the Bible for students of all streams alike.
The NCERT books are important and helpful because:
1. The information compiled in the books is authentic and not misleading as is the case in other books, with few exceptions.
2. The basics/fundamentals are clearly explained in the book.
3. The number of questions is less but the standard is quite high. Moreover, the types of questions are such that they cover the syllabus of the exams to a large extent.
4. Those students who are preparing from the NCERT books do not have to bother about the preparation for the board exams. They can easily cover the board syllabus along with the syllabus of the entrance exams.
5. Most of the times questions asked in the entrance exams are directly from the NCERT books.
6. If you are able to understand the language of the NCERT books properly, a lot of effort is saved. There are many students who waste a lot of precious time in going through various books when they can get all of it through a single book.
Therefore, if you want to clear any engineering exam always consult the Maths, Physics and Chemistry books of NCERT. They do require investment of adequate time in understanding but the ROI (return on investment) is quite high. So invest in the right option.